Wednesday, December 15, 2010

PRG to CLE

I'm sitting here drinking my millionth coffee and reflecting on the eve of my departure. Seriously, WHERE did the time go? August 7th seems like some obscure dream I had last night, but somehow three seasons, seven countries and a ridiculous amount of fun has been squeezed into 4 and a half short months.

Yanni said it best:
"We wake up like it's Christmas, we eat like it's Thanksgiving, and we party like it's summer."

The best four months of my life, without a doubt. I am so incredibly fortunate to have seen some of the most beautiful places in the world. The thing that makes me even happier is that there are still about a zillion more to see. I've eaten the best dinners, lunches, desserts from amazing hole-in-the-wall restaurants. So many different types of cuisine too, from fresh Italian seafood to phad-Thai that was so good I wanted to cry. I beg Ohio to please expand their culinary tastes.

I've had so much access to the most amazing arts and culture as well. I've seen REAL Monet's and Warhol's, and even the overrated Mona Lisa!

The art exhibits I was able to see this semester are:

Decadence Now!-A controversial modern art exhibit that focuses on the "excesses" of society: pain, self, sex, and death. Definitely weird and cool at the same time.

Monet-Warhol- An exhibit that had (in my inexperienced opinion) some of the best modern artists in the world! Monet, Warhol, Magritte, Miro. Plus, it was awesome that I could see what I was learning about in my 20th Century art class in real life.

Mucha Museum- Alfons Mucha became one of my favorite artists after I went to this gallery. He is an absolutely amazing art nouveau Czech painter. So what if I spent $30 on a poster of Clair De Lune?

I went to a beautiful ballet at the national theater, which is basically moving art. On the other end of the spectrum, I went the see the number one DJ in the world, Tiesto. Though the man is a magician, the crowd was far from moving art, but listening to his remix of "Pursuit of Happiness" was life changing.

The Christmas tree lighting in Old Town Square was completely beautiful. An enormous, decorated tree surrounded by an adorable Christmas market? Yes, please!

Oh yea, the laughing. I don't know if you could have picked a more random group of individuals to share a building, but somehow the mix worked out perfectly and we have become a family. Countless jokes and some great family dinners in Prague OSM (and on boats and fancy restaurants) have made the semester even better. Chapeau, Karlovy, Rad-host with these kids...priceless.  Many more times in The Cottage ahead for us.

Prague has my heart. It really is the most beautiful city I've ever seen, with its castle, old architecture and cobble-stone streets. I will miss it severely.

Now its back to Cleveland to be with the people I love so much, and then to Ashland to have fun and graduate and eventually do big girl things. Of course, I'll be back to traveling as soon as possible.

"Stories yet to unfold, tales that must be retold."

1 comment: